Support a Charting Careers Child
Envision. Aspire. Achieve.
Charting Careers is a Box of Rain program designed to help our youth discover personal strengths, explore "good fit" career options, gain job and internship experiences, and develop the soft skills necessary to succeed in life and throughout their careers. The program will serve 100 underserved kids in the Annapolis community this year!
Our goal is that no Charting Careers graduate will move into adulthood without a success plan and the tools to make it happen. Guided by an advisory panel of experts in the fields of psychology, social work, education, guidance, and life skills coaching, this program is implemented by a team of 10 education professionals—nearly all of whom are AACPS teachers, guidance counselors, and special educators.
This innovative program is garnering great support from the Annapolis community, but we still need $$$ to fully fund our program. Here's what our program delivers:
- Create the Story of You workshops at four elementary schools serving 48 kids in 5th grade
- Middle School Charting Careers Club at Annapolis Middle School 6th graders and in-depth 1:1 mentoring with ten 7th and 8th graders
- Charting Careers intensive High School program serving 12 kids with these services:
- Group workshops on special topics such as financial literacy, job interviewing, and career development
- Professional college advising services provided by college advisors from Key and Severn Schools
- Myers Briggs personality testing to promote self-understanding and guide students in career options
- 1:1 college guidance, as well as college tours through a collaboration with Towson University Dept. of Education
- Volunteer mentors assigned to each student to guide performance and keep students and parents on course with test prep, job/college search, and progress toward career goals
- Internships, shadow days, and job experience provided through partnerships with local business
- Regular communication and coordination with Annapolis High School guidance and college counseling staff
- Opportunity to develop leadership skills and earn service hours through participation in a Peace First project
- Intensive assistance with the college application process, including essay writing, FAFSA, resume development, and college selection